Becoming One of Us – 5 easy steps to becoming a part of the La Nostra Ciutat family
Posted on July 07 2017
At La Nostra Ciutat, we have made it our mission to create a permanent retail space for local designers and artisans to give them a fighting chance in Barcelona’s commercial city centre. Fighting, as in hard-core “bring it!”-kind of fighting.
We have been fighting alongside some really cool creative minds of Barcelona, and it’s an understatement to say that it’s been a true pleasure working with you all.
La Nostra Ciutat has received so much love and interest from all sides, and we are so happy.
(Care to find out a bit more about what it really is we do? Read about it in our first ever blog post here!)
New designers keep showing up and the family grows more every day. It’s awesome to watch and witness how La Nostra Ciutat’s variety and colourfulness grow and amplify. We are so grateful for the diversity and the lovely collaborations— moltíssimes gràcies!
If you yourself are a creative mind and live in the Barcelona area, I suggest you get onboard now. Like, ahora-mismo-now.
Maybe that’s the reason you landed on this page? Well done.
You have come to the right place. Because at La Nostra Ciutat, there is no specific style you have to have or age limitation or anything.
Yet there are some things to bear in mind before diving in, so keep reading for your list on how (and why!) to become a designer at La Nostra Ciutat.
Why would you want to join us on our journey?
I can come up with many reasons right off the top of my head for why it is the best idea for you to become one of us. In fact, I can’t really think of a whynot— if you love design and your work fits to our product range, then I fully believe we should be a team. Don’t you?
But to give you a bit of an idea anyways, here are some important reasons for why you will love becoming a part of the family:
- We have a lovely team here, so we’ll get along great and that’s always the most important part, in my opinion.
La Nostra Ciutat is located between the Catedral de Barcelona and the Pi church, so right in the middle of El Gòtic, a popular part of old town. It’s a phenomenal location to exhibit your stuff!
- We make an effort to really work with you and support your path as an independent creative mind. We’ll go through your work with you, let you know what the customers respond best to and together we’ll brainstorm new ways to show off your skills. It’s a fun process!
- Through the shop, you can start networking and meet other designers who might be up for a collaboration! We have set up a couple of those in the past and it’s turned out amazing!
- Really, what do you have to lose? We will try your products in the shop, see how the customers react to it and if anything ever doesn’t go as well, you’ll get it back without suffering any losses at all.
- We make a point of avoiding price competition by fixing a set price range for many products. That way, the customers can go for their favourite design style, not their favourite price class.
- If you’ve been creating, designing or drawing for a while now and you want to get out there but you don’t know where to start (it can be super overwhelming) then this is the perfect place for you to gradually get the ball rolling. Bring something in. See what happens. It’s magic!
- You know those marketing businesses that you pay insane amounts of money to have them ask people what they think of your product? This is kind of like that but less suits and more fun. And for free! Are you kidding me?
- The stuff in our shop is so fricking beautiful; how would you not want to be set up amongst those products?
So that’s why. Now you know.
Those reasons up there had you nodding your head and going “Huh!” in great pleasure and amazement? You want to do this? Perfect! Moving on to the next part then.
Are you as excited as I am?
Alright, so now you want to be part of La Nostra Ciutat. These are the next steps you need to take:
STEP ONE: CHECK YOUR LOCATION
La Nostra Ciutat is a small design store in Barcelona, offering a wide range of artisan products from the city for the city, and for those that want to remember it well.
Therefore, it is important that you reside and work in the city.
This does not mean that you have to be a born-and-raised Catalan, but definitely a resident.
Or differently put: If you can get a Bicing card, you can put your design in our shelves.
STEP TWO: PICK YOUR BEST
If you are a resident, the next step you need to take is send us your portfolio.
Some of you may have many, many products to pick from, but it would be best to give us a brief idea of what it is you do, and why you think it would work well in the shop.
If you like our stuff, I’m guessing you have probably looked through our current selection of products. Send us photos of the work you think fits best with our shop.
By all means this does not mean that we have to have something similar to your work in our range already— that would just be boring.
Send us something you think would complement our products nicely and interest the kind of audience that comes into La Nostra Ciutat.
STEP THREE: SEND IT IN
If you have something lovely picked out that you think we should not miss, send us a photo and maybe a small description to our email address:
Don’t forget to also tell us a little about yourself and what it is you do. This is not a contest; you don’t have to show off the prizes you won or anything (though feel free to do so, you poser).
It’s more about us getting a bit of an idea of you as an artisan, so a couple of words and your personal work philosophy will do.
We can’t wait!
STEP FOUR: HANG IN THERE
Currently, we are working with more than 180 local designers and artisans. On top of that, our store gets quite busy during the day, especially on weekends.
We know how it feels to wait impatiently for a response, but keep in mind that it takes a little while for us to review your mail. But do know that we will get to all of you, so try to sit tight and don’t give up on us just yet— we promise to do our best, always.
Also, we understand that those of you who produce something physical often feel that your product is insufficiently represented on a computer screen. We get that, of course, which is why we will have a look at it personally once we’ve talked per mail and arranged a meeting with you. Until then, pictures of the product and a small description of the materials and function per mail will have to do— as a sort of appetizer, you might say.
Just keep in mind that bringing your work in randomly during a busy day at the shop doesn’t do anyone much justice, least of all your product. We much prefer to have an unhurried look at it with all our decision-makers present.
It’s always so fun to look at new products, and we are really looking forward to having you show us yours!
STEP FIVE: GET TO WORK
So once you received our mail, came in for a meeting and everyone was really happy and pleased afterwards, you are now a designer at La Nostra Ciutat. Yey! Welcome! Raise your glasses. We’re glad to have you.
Now it's time to do your best and bring in all the good stuff for the world to enjoy.
We’ll get you a starting pack with everything you need to know about preparing your product right for our shop, filling out the delivery slip, the albarán, and how things usually work around here.
But in the meantime, have a look at this post I wrote about things to remember as one of our designers.
(This could also be interesting for you if you work as a freelance designer, even if it isn’t with us.)